Medical Professional Liability
Connecticut Medical Insurance Company (CMIC), a member of the CMIC Group, specializes in providing professional liability solutions for targeted industries, including:
- Employed Physician Groups
- Managed Care Organizations
- Physician Groups
- Independent Physicians
- Dentists and Oral Surgeons
- Allied Healthcare Professionals
- Free live and online CME courses with premium credit
- Defendant support program
- Convenient online payment options
Unique Coverage Features
- Consent to settle
- Shared excess coverage
- Deductible programs
- Simplified medical risk classifications
- Flexible payment options with no premium finance charge
- Premium adjustment opportunities that can reduce your premiums
- Claims Made, Modified Claims Made, and Occurrence Policies available (depending on jurisdiction)
- Professional Entity Coverage
- Prior Acts Coverage (Claims Made)
- Extended Reporting Period Endorsement (Tail Coverage)
- Leave of Absence
- Temporary Disability
- Locum Tenens
- Administrative Review Coverage
- Pre-Retirement Practice Options
Superior Defense Counsel
CMIC Group's defense counsel consists of experienced defense-only firms specializing in malpractice defense. As a mutual insurance company, our philosophy is to provide the best legal counsel available to our members.
Additional Coverages included in each physician policy at no additional charge
As a CMIC Group insured, each individual healthcare provider is covered, at no additional charge, for up to $100,000 for a wide array of exposures. The additional exposures covered by a CMIC Group policy are:
- Administrative Proceedings - coverage for the costs of defending an administrative action brought against a physician by a licensing agency that involves allegations which could form the basis of a claim of legal liability under the policy.
- Legal Defense - coverage for the costs of defending a governmental proceeding alleging Medicare/Medicaid fraud or abuse.
- Cyber Liability - Defense costs and civil fines and penalties coverage for allegations of HIPAA, EMTALA and STARK violations. Also includes:
- Network Security & Privacy Insurance - Includes coverage for both online and offline information, virus attacks, denial of service, and failure to prevent transmission of malicious code.
- Privacy Breach Response Costs, Patient Notification Expenses, Customer Support and Credit Monitoring Expenses - Includes all reasonable legal, public relations, advertising, IT forensic, call center, credit monitoring and postage expenses incurred by the insured for a privacy breach response.
- Network Asset Protection - Coverage for all reasonable and necessary sums required to recover and/or replace data that is compromised, damaged, lost, erased or corrupted.
- Emergency Medical Expense for patients (no-fault coverage)
- Billing Errors & Omissions - coverage for the costs of the defense for billing errors proceedings by:
- Governmental agencies - including the Office of Inspector General, Department of Justice, ZPIC and RAC
- Qui Tam plaintiffs
- Contractors working on behalf of the government
- Commercial Payers
If you would like additional information on the coverages we offer, please contact the CMIC Group or one of our Brokers.