Medical Professional Liability
Connecticut Medical Insurance Company (CMIC), a member of the CMIC Group, specializes in providing professional liability solutions for targeted industries, including:
- Employed Physician Groups
- Managed Care Organizations
- Physician Groups
- Independent Physicians
- Dentists and Oral Surgeons
- Allied Healthcare Professionals
CMIC Group is proud to be a leading doctor-owned provider of professional liability insurance and services to doctors and healthcare professionals. As a mutual-member-owned company, we strive to provide our members innovative insurance and practice solutions, while maintaining appropriately priced professional liability insurance.
CMIC Group is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best, the premier medical liability insurance rating agency in the nation. The rating reflects CMIC Group 's strong capitalization and underwriting performance, as well as favorable return measures and conservative loss sharing philosophy.
- Free online CME credits
- Specialty seminars with premium credit
- Defendant support program
- Online payment options
Unique Coverage Features
- Consent to settle
- Shared excess coverage
- Deductible programs
- Simplified medical risk classifications
- Flexible payment options with no premium finance charge
- Premium adjustment opportunities that can reduce your premiums
- Claims Made, Modified Claims Made, and Occurrence Policies available (depending on jurisdiction)
- Professional Entity Coverage
- Prior Acts Coverage
- Extended Reporting Period Endorsement (Tail Coverage)
- Leave of Absence
- Locum Tenens
- Administrative Review Coverage
- Pre-Retirement Practice Options
Convenient Payment Options
CMIC Group offers online payment options via our website. All transactions occur in a secure environment. Policyholders can select credit cards, debit cards or checks to pay their premium with the flexibility of specifying payment dates.
Superior Defense Counsel
CMIC Group's defense counsel consists of experienced defense-only firms specializing in malpractice defense. As a mutual insurance company, our philosophy is to provide the best legal counsel available to our members.
Additional Coverages included in each physician policy at no additional charge
As a CMIC Group insured, each individual healthcare provider is covered, at no additional charge, for up to $100,000 for a wide array of exposures. The additional exposures covered by a CMIC Group policy are:
- Administrative Proceedings - coverage for the costs of defending an administrative action brought against a physician by a licensing agency that involves allegations which could form the basis of a claim of legal liability under the policy.
- Legal Defense - coverage for the costs of defending a governmental proceeding alleging Medicare/Medicaid fraud or abuse, related to violation of Medicare or Medicaid guidelines involving allegations that an insured presented an erroneous claim seeking payment for reimbursement.
- Cyber Liability - Defense costs and civil fines and penalties coverage for allegations of HIPAA, EMTALA and STARK violations. Also includes:
- Network Security & Privacy Insurance - Includes coverage for both online and offline information, virus attacks, denial of service, and failure to prevent transmission of malicious code.
- Privacy Breach Response Costs, Patient Notification Expenses, Customer Support and Credit Monitoring Expenses - Includes all reasonable legal, public relations, advertising, IT forensic, call center, credit monitoring and postage expenses incurred by the insured for a privacy breach response.
- Network Asset Protection - Coverage for all reasonable and necessary sums required to recover and/or replace data that is compromised, damaged, lost, erased or corrupted.
- Billing Errors & Omissions - coverage for the costs of the defense for billing errors proceedings by:
- Governmental agencies - including the Office of Inspector General, Department of Justice, ZPIC and RAC
- Qui Tam plaintiffs
- Contractors working on behalf of the government
- Commercial Payers
If you would like additional information on the coverages we offer, please contact the CMIC Group or one of our Brokers.