Reporting a Claim
When to Report a Claim
It is important that you notify the Claims Department whenever you become aware of an incident which you believe might reasonably lead to a claim against you, your group or your organization. Examples of reportable events are:
- Receipt of notice of a claim alleging medical malpractice, or one that may involve your general liability policy issued by CMIC.
- An adverse event during the treatment of a patient, or an encounter with a patient or family member where they express displeasure with the treatment provided.
- Receipt of a request for records or a subpoena.
- Receipt of a Lawsuit (Summons and Complaint - including Small Claims actions) naming you, your group or your organization as a Defendant.
How to Report a Claim
CMIC is committed to an efficient, organized process when reporting a claim. If you know the claims representative designated to your account you can call them directly or you can contact Sandra Snaden, Loss Coordinator, at 800.228.0287 ext. 236.
- Your policy number and policy type (i.e. Physicians & Surgeons, Professional Entity, etc.)
- Date and time of the incident
- Description of the incident